Halal Food in Korea: Part 2





What is the meaning of Halal?
Halal (Arabic:حلال, Halal); means lawful or legal) is a term designating any object or an action which is permissible to use or engage in, according to Islamic law. It is the opposite of haraam. The term is used to designate food seen as permissible according to Islamic law (Sharia, الشريعة الإسلامية).(Source: Wikipedia)

How to find Halal food in Korea?
When I walked around Seoul, I did not come across restaurants catering Halal food other than in Itaewon. However, most of them are Indian, Turkish, Pakistan and Middle East food. I have tried the turkish kebab twice. Once with Tutie and Hanim while we were in Itaewon and another by myself. Read more here.I'm hoping to find Halal Korean food restaurant in Seoul in future.

Check Muslim food guide in Korea by KNTO in here for the list of Halal restaurants in South Korea and download the pdf here. Check recommended islamic and indian cuisine restaurants in Seoul, here.

Korean foods that I have tried
You must be confused on how I could enjoy Korean food when there was no Halal label donned by the restaurants, right?

Warning: I am not endorsing that any of the food listed below is Halal (meaning with Halal label approved by Korean Islamic Federation) but I had tried my best to avoid food which was impermissible, doubtful or questionable. If you hesitate, unsure and doubtful, don't eat the food.
Bibimbap at Hongik.
Dwenjang jjigae at Kimbap Nara
Tteokpokki at Sindangdong
Tteok - Korean rice cake at Chunyang and Santisuk
Tuna Kimbap from Family Mart
Chungmu Kimbap at Myeongdong
Haemul Buchu Jjeon / buchimgae by Miju's mother
Kalguksu at Busan University
Jjin pang at Jinbu
Hobak Juk at Gwangcheon
Jjampong and yanggeng at Jaesan Village
Chung guk jang at Tongyeong

What are your options?
Middle east food
Indian food
Vegetarian food
Seafood
Permissible Korean food (if you know Hangul)
Bring food from your country

What did I say when I want to order these food?
I can't eat meat - 저는 고기를 못 먹어요 - jo nen gogi rel mommogo yo
I don't eat meat - 저는 고기를 안먹어요 - jo nen gogi rel an mogo yo
Please don't put meat - 고기를 넣지마세요 - gogi rel nohjimase yo
Please don't put ham - 햄을 넣지마세요 - hem el nohjimase yo
I don't drink alcohol -  저는 술 안 마셔요 - jo nen sus an masho yo
I can only eat vegetable and seafood - 야채와 해산물 요리를 먹을 수 있어요 - yache wa hesanmul yori rel mogelsu isso yo
I am a vegetarian - 저는 채식 주의자 예요 - jo nen cheshik juweeja ye yo

If you prefer to stay around Itaewon area where there are mushrooms of HALAL restaurants, you could check into one of these lodgings from Asiarooms.

Anyone interested to set up a Halal restaurant in Korea? Read the guide here.

Post a Comment

17 Comments

Sara’s Launches Online Halal Meat Shop for UK Muslimshttp://sarashalalfoods.blogspot.com/p/online-halal-meat-shop.html
SD said…
i would like to go to south korea for my study visit in a group. Could you guide me about all the tips to south korea. maybe we can chat by email.
Zarina BT2K said…
Hi SD,
Thanks for dropping by.
I could assist you by mail but I rarely chat via messenger or etc.
You could email me at zemoneko@gmail.com. ^^
Unknown said…
Salam there,

Chance upon your blog while looking for travel infos. Impressively informative, suits the title :D

I blog about my humble trip too. Just posted an entry on Korean food I tried, didn't know I could eat more than that like u did. *Envy*

http://travelleranatomy.blogspot.com/2010/11/not-so-bizzarre-food-in-korea.html

Do drop by and tell me your thought. U deserve a link and a follower like me :')
Zarina BT2K said…
Salam Siti,

Thanks for dropping by. ^^
I love your blog and your pictures.
Keep up the passion there.
Unknown said…
salam..
i've stayed in korea before for 4 months..about the "TUNA KIMBAB", is it the rolled kimbab or triangle kimbab? Because,unfortunately, those TUNA triangle kimbab sold at the convinient stores are NOT HALAL..I read through the ingredients and guess what? The kimbab contain "PORK"..oppss~~
(p/s: the rolled TUNA kimbab sold at the convinient might also have ham..so be careful ok..)
Zarina BT2K said…
Hi Mello,

Thank you for the information.
I will update it ASAP.
Anonymous said…
Salam..

There is an indian muslim restaurant near Ewha Women University, Shinchon. The food is gpretty good but not sure about the pricing. Should be cheaper that Itaewon. I do not know the address but pls check the location in google : 37°33'26.57"N ,126°56'50.09"E.

Zul
Idurashistory said…
Salam, I found your blog after googling for halal food in Korea, and it honestly eased my worried mind as I'm going there next week with my mom. It's our first time going to Korea and we're rather anxious and somewhat clueless. Not only that, we can't find a travel agency so we're really just going to follow the flow once we're there. You seemed really experience and I'd really appreciate it if you'd be willing to give up a few pointers on where to go, where to not go and stuff like that. I hope I'm not troubling you that much.

Sincerely,
Idura Namira
SD said…
Idura Namira, just read the blog posts...that's what i did when we plan our group trip to south korea......

and just reading the whole posts in this blog will make you feel like your are already traveling there....

believe me~ just read all the post then you will know south korea like u r there.....
Zarina BT2K said…
Salam Idura,
Please download the FAQ on the right top of the blog.
Anonymous said…
Salam Zarina,

I'll be in Seoul end of next month. My problem now is the food. The list given is pork free restaurant/shop or they also serve non halal meat?

Naz
nad said…
excuse me..i want to buy korean grain rice tapi x tau if the rice is halal or not.. just the rice,uncooked rice. is it same as the normal rice that malaysian consumed?or there are some food additive that had been added tht make it not halal?
Esma said…
The list of foods in your post here that you already tried in different areas are they halal? Is there any restaurant that serve halal korean food in Itaewon?

Pls reply here at my email >> norismah@gmail.com
SD said…
nad : as i know how the rice processed all around the world.no need to doubt about the halal of the rice

esma : there are no halal sign at all if you want try korean food. at itaewon there r no korean halal food.only arab,indian etc halal food
Omar Al-Attas said…
zarina, u have any idea kat mana nak cari kedai yg jual galchi jorim yg halal? last time i pergi dongdaemun. mmg sedap.but keesokan harinya nak repeat.. terperasan ada "daging" lain yg turut dimasak di situ. huhuhu
Anonymous said…
Salam everyone,I'm in korea now.I would like to recommend Muree restaurant which serves halal korean food n also varieties of halal food.There's also Siti Sarah restaurant which is also on the same street leading to central mosque.They serve delucious Indonesian food.